Thursday, December 10, 2009

Relationship Amplifer

In the shape of a lion, Max Lawrence uses something called the Darlington Pair which he also refers to as the "Relationship Amplifier." The Darlington Pair, according to the exhibition information for the piece is "a set of two transistors that amplify weak signals into stronger and sharper signals for both audio and microprocessing" in electrical science. Max uses this in his art to represent the way that two people can come together, as in a relationship and create that separate element that wouldn't have existed if not for the joining of the couple.

This piece is both fascinating and confusing for me. I totally understand his concept but why a lion? Lions usually stand for pride and strength, which can be the result of the union Max is talking about, but I still find it a bit confusing. I would understand that he didn't want anything too corny, but I never would imagine a lion as a symbol for a relationship. I do find his mix of art and science to be fun. As a fan of both, the way that Max uses them together compliment each other, and in a way reinforce his idea of combining two to make three.

No comments:

Post a Comment